Because walking combines well with public transport for longer trips, it is worth thinking about whether your group should engage with the local providers of public transport in your area:
- Melbourne’s metropolitan train system is run by Connex.
- Melbourne’s tram system is run by Yarra Trams.
- Melbourne’s metropolitan buses, and local buses in regional areas are run by a variety of providers – check out your local area on Metlink or VicLink.
- Victoria’s regional train system is run by VLine.
Public transport providers might be willing to talk to you about:
- whether the local bus routes are serving the needs of your local community (tram and train routes are obviously harder to change);
- the location of stops, especially for buses, and to a certain extent, for trams; and
- what service upgrades are planned in your local area.
From time to time, some providers might also be willing to donate money or services to community-based groups – and the more you can demonstrate how working with you will improve passenger numbers on their transport services, the more likely they are to listen! (See building your case for change for some tips).