Looking for dog-friendly walks?
Join the pack! Join our Facebook Dog Walks group for the best tips from other dog owners about great places for walking on and off-lead in Victoria.
Some great Melbourne dog walks we have mapped for you at our Walking Maps site:
- Jells Park walk (note: dogs not allowed in the conservation area)
- Yarra Bend Park walk
- Princes Park loop walk, Carlton North (includes two leash-free areas)
- Altona Dog beach walk (includes off-leash)
- Gloucester Reserve, Williamstown (dogs not permitted in Jawbone Marine Reserve section)
- Royal Park walk (includes numerous leash-free areas, but stay away from Nature Play playground)
- Lilydale Lake walk
- Darebin Parklands (note: has only one off-leash area and some areas where dogs not permitted)
- Wilson Botanic Park walk, Berwick (on-lead only but lovely!)
- Finns' Reserve, Yarra Bend, Templestowe (Note: dogs not permitted Wombat Bend playground)
Dog walks outside Melbourne:
- You Yangs East West walk
- Kurth Kiln walk, Gembrook
- Lake Elizabeth walk, the Otways (on-lead forest walk)
- Apollo Bay (includes off-leash beach)
- Airey's inlet cliff top walk (includes an off-leash beach)
- Shallow Inlet to Sandy Point (near the 'Prom) on-lead only
- Traralgon Railway Reserve
Mornington Peninsula Shire (thanks to star map-maker Keeley!)
- McCrae dog-friendly beach walk (includes an off-leash beach)
- Safety Beach dog walk, Mornington Peninsula (includes an off-leash beach)
- Tassels Cove, Safety Beach (includes off-leash beach)
- Flinders' Beach dog-friendly walk Flinders
- Balcombe Estuary boardwalk circuit, Mount Martha
- Leash-free community forest walk, Mount Martha
- Mount Martha dog-lovers' beach walk
- Mornington dog-friendly walk
Do you prefer walks around your neighbourhood, or walks further afield?
You might find these sites helpful:
- Victoria Walks' dog walks Facebook group Join to get information about new dog-walking maps and to get tips from other Melbourne and Victorian dog-lovers.
- Walking Maps (tick the 'dog off-leash' option for dog-friendly walking maps)
- Dog-friendly walks in Victoria
- Dog-friendly walking trails in Victoria
- Dog-friendly hikes in Victoria
- Dog-friendly parks and walks in Melbourne
- Dog-friendly walking tracks in the Dandenongs
- Dog-friendly parks (Parks Victoria)
- Melbourne's 10 best dog parks and beaches
Of course, it goes without saying that you and your pooch will need to share these spaces with other walkers. So please follow basic rules:
- Ensure your dog is on a lead, unless otherwise specified.
- Control your dog, especially around children and busy areas.
- Pick up your dog's poop.
- Check your local government website for information about off-leash areas.