1. What is a Walkability Action Group?
A Walkability Action Group, or WAG, is simply a group of people that promote more walkable, liveable communities by making their suburb, town or neighbourhood a friendlier and better place to live.
Well-run, articulate groups can be more credible than individuals in the eyes of government and larger organisations. Not trying to do everything yourself is important!
2. What do WAGs do?
Here are some examples:
- Walk on Moreland campaigns to improve pedestrian safety and walkability in the municipality of Moreland, encompassing Brunswick, Coburg, Fawkner, Glenroy, Oak Park.
- Locomote (Portarlington) has been constructively involved in assisting their council and local authorities to improve walkability in the Bellarine Peninsula, as well as promoting walking to the wider community;
- Ormond and McKinnon Walks recently celebrated the government's decision to install a pedestrian crossing in their area. They're also keen to promote more children walking to school as well as improving walkability in their neighbourhood.
- Streets Alive Yarra Founded in 2017 this is a community group of residents of the City of Yarra (which includes Abbotsford, Burnley, Clifton Hill, Collingwood, Cremorne, Fitzroy, North Carlton, North Fitzroy, Princes Hill and Richmond.
- Rossmoyne Street WAG builds community, holds street parties, advocates for walkabiltiy,and has events like their highly successful Scarecrow Competion;
- East Ivanhoe WAG successfully campaigned for a safer crossing at the Burke Road North roundabout;
- Here are some success stories of how WAGs have made their neighbourhoods better for walking
- See our list of existing Walkability Action Groups in Victoria and see what they're getting up to!
- Here are some tips for starting a Walkability Action Group in your area.
- Join our Victoria-wide Walk Agents Facebook group, founded in 2018.
- Use our resources page to help your group fight for walkability
- And last but not least, let us know about your Walkability Action Group by getting in touch with us.